Monday, November 2, 2009

Terrified..

It was supposed to be like any other Monday where the kids have fun at xplorerkids, until Kyan came crying to us, bleeding from his forehead. I panicked. I really did. I think I was more scared than he was. Trembled and didn't know what to do, I was trying to stop myself from fainting and my limbs were cold.

He was at the rock wall, I think he must have fallen and hurt his head against the wall. He had a deep gaping cut on his right eyelid. Blood was oozing out from his wound. I tried to apply pressure on it. The minute I let go of my hand, the blood started flowing again. Thank god the manager at xplorer kids was calm enough to apply antiseptic lotion and ice pack to keep the wound from bleeding further. She stuck a gauzed bandage over it and we left for Changi Hospital.

Nobody should ever have to experience the A & E. It's one of the worst waits ever. First I was directed to the counter to make payment. However, as Kyan's wound was still bleeding, I requested for him to see a doctor first. So they led me to room 19 - the triage room. One MO took down details of his fall. Well, his typing skills were damn slow. Couldn't really multi-task. Either he was asking me questions or he was updating info on the computer. He can't do both at the same time! In the meantime, the blood was soaking through the bandage. Then after he took Kyan's weight, we had to wait about 10 minutes to go into Room 4. The female doctor, Dr Olivia Teo, who assessed him was quite young. She was more assuring but told us that Kyan needed stitching for his wound. Then we had to go to counter 19 to wait again. This time a nurse led us to the Resusitation Room. Kyan was told to lie on the bed where they had to monitor his heart-rate and BP. Then another doctor- Dr Aziz told me that they were going to gas him in order to make him slightly drowsy so that they could stitch him up. Then he left. Another doc, Dr Gan, came to tell him that they would give him Ketamine instead to sedate him. He would be in a semi-conscious state. While they were trying to inject him, they asked to chat with him. I could never forget the look on his face when he started screaming that the injection was painful and he struggled and tried to wriggle away. He kept yelling that it was painful and that he wanted me to carry him. But I couldn't. I could only watch him helplessly as he stopped struggling and drifted off to the sedated state. That's when the nurses told me to wait outside while the doctor performed the procedure.

God knows how long I've waited outside. During the time I was seated outside, I've seen 2 old men, 1 young guy and 1 small girl (who was admitted for fits) being rushed into the A & E. The longer I sat there, the more wild thoughts grew in my head. I kept my eyes glued at the door, hoping the nurses would signal to me to go in.

Finally they did. I went in to see my poor Kyan being heavily sedated and he was talking very slowly. Told me I had 2 heads and 4 eyes. I tried not to be alarmed. He had 5 stitches. I sat next to him and kept on talking and asking him questions. After 15 minutes later, he was better. More active and he could respond better to me. Finally after the doc checked him, he could be discharged and off we went home.

I pray that he would be fine soon. It's really heartbreaking to see him in pain and me not able to relief his pain. I wished I was the one who had gotten hurt instead. My heart nearly stopped today and I'm still feeling it now.

No comments: