Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Marriage

I've just watched Grey's Anatomy. Had to keep the volume down cos the males of the family were all sleeping. Back to the episode, Allison asked the black guy who was divorced from his wife, whether he had an affair. He said no. Then she asked why then the divorce. He said one day he just woke up and knew he had to walk away, walk away from the marriage.

That's strange isn't it? No quarrels, no betrayals, no disagreements. The love just died out like that. I remembered telling Asri exactly that years ago. I, of course , had my fears about getting married. I was afraid that our love would just fizzled out like that. But why is that so? How can one's feelings for someone just disappear like that ? It really doesn't make sense.

Probably the routine of everyday life puts a toll on the marriage. You do the same things everyday and there's no excitement to look forward to anymore. After marriage, you just get too lazy to do anything cos you are too used to everything. Does it sound reasonable?

It's very easy to slip into this state, especially after we have kids. They just take up so much of our time that we don't spend much couple time together. That's why we make it an effort to try to celebrate special occasions like birthdays and anniversaries together. He'll try to take leave on my off days so that we could go out for a nice meal when the kids are in school.

I think communication is so very important in a relationship. Our conversations just revolve around the kids. Even if we are spending coupletime together, we'll still talk about them! I guess that's quite unavoidable. He also tells me about his work and we'll still chit chat on the phone everyday when he's at work. So, I think, it's not so bad.


For Asri and me, I think the long dating period works. We 've had so many quarrels and trying to sort out our relationship then. Probably that's why we understand each other's temperament now. But it's also easier to take things for granted. Maybe I'm guilty of that sometimes. But he always gives in to me. I think if not for his patience, we would not have lasted for so long. Between us, I'm the rash one, the one who does things without thinking at times. He's the calmer one and he always offers a different perspective cos he's more analytical, maybe from a male's point of view. Sometimes he helps me to see things in a different light.

Probably that's what makes our relationship work. We are different yet similar. We've grown so used to each other. Maybe we should join some know-your- spouse-contest and win some money. Ha



No comments: